Nursery Isn't Just for Working Parents

Cyril's 1st birthday with his buddies, don't have any nursery pics yet!


To say the transition to nursery has been difficult is a complete understatement. We've both cried at every drop off and the separation anxiety once we get home is exhausting. I've felt sad, guilty and have questioned my decision to send him all week. This guilt was not helped when someone commented that they didn't feel children should go to nursery if their parents aren't working especially if they're clearly not enjoying it.  I mentioned needing a break, and the response was, "You'll get a break when they're in school full-time." After the comment was made I briefly contemplated pulling Cyril out before one of my friends said that she's not working and she loves the time it gives her to spend alone with her younger son. And let's just lay all the cards out on the table, to those of you who think we're not working and are just lounging around drinking tea all day in our pyjamas, think again. Parenting might just be the hardest job out there and I realise there are many parents who work full-time and then parent full-time when they get home but there are also days when I feel like going to work full-time might actually be easier, but the grass is greener right? Therefore I don't think nursery is only for mothers who have jobs, I too need a break every once in a while.

Anyway, I didn't put Cyril in nursery because I needed a break, I've needed a break since he was born but I waited until I got pregnant and then we only made the decision to send him because we want him to get used to going before the new baby arrives. I don't want him to associate nursery with the new baby and I know I will need help when this second baby is here. The transition from one child to two will feel impossible but knowing I can have a few hours twice a week with only one baby to look after will make it a little easier. I'm sure there are also parents out there who have two, three, four and heaven forbid five children and they somehow manage to get by without nursery but let's be clear, I am not one of those parents. I thought I would be one of those parents but then Cyril was born and it became clear very quickly that I would never be placed in the category of mothers that somehow do it all with a smile on there face. But let's be honest we all know what's behind that smile, the desire for a bottle of wine and a bubble bath, ALONE.

So before you judge another mother about her ability to choose if nursery is right for her child it might be worth finding out some background information like my family lives in America and aren't a phone call away when I'm desperate or suffering from morning sickness, Josh's family is trying to run a business after the head of the company, my father-in-law, died, my husband and I would like to spend some time alone together, I want to give the new baby some undivided attention, and Cyril was so confident at his taster sessions that I hadn't anticipated such a reaction. I could list many more reasons for this decision and being lazy or mean isn't one of them. In fact, I'm pretty confident that all parents send there children to nursery for very valid reasons, working or not.


Cyril as a baby with his 3 best friends :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Months

Nearly Halfway There, Yikes!

Bad Ass Baby Soper