Bye Bye 2016 Thanks for Keeping it Real

January

We found out we were expecting baby number 2 (OK technically we found out the news on Christmas Day in Portugal but close enough).




February

I had severe morning sickness with Sage and I couldn't be anywhere near cooking smells which meant that Cyril survived off of yogurt, fruit, granola and raw veg for the first 12 weeks of Sage's pregnancy.

The morning sickness in January was so severe that I contemplated flying to America for a month to get help from my mom. When I found out the sad news that neither grandmother was doing well I took a giant leap and embarked on a 7 hour plane ride with an upset stomach and toddler in tow.

Cyril threw up bright red blueberries as we were landing in Hartford, I nearly threw up on him, and we both walked through the airport half naked.

However, going home was the best decision I ever made, the extra help was greatly appreciated, Cyril's diet became more varied, and I got to say goodbye to two of the women who had a great influence on me growing up. My Nana died 5 days before we flew back to England and my Grammy died in May. Nana was a firecracker, always speaking her mind and making me laugh, even as an embarrassed teenager. Grammy was a kind-hearted soul who loved children and this always showed, especially when I brought Cyril to her house. You will both be missed but forever in our hearts.





March

Cyril celebrated his second birthday which was extremely low key but very fun and we celebrated it at Granny Bron's with homemade cake, lots of balloons and a few Eli tantrums thrown in for good measure :)

Cyril also started nursery. It was heartbreaking to drop him off with a face full of tears each morning but it also brought us great happiness when we were reunited. After about 3 weeks he was used to the new routine and now nursery is one of his favourite places to go each week. The hardest part for me was realising that our life was about to change in a massive way and I would have to start saying goodbye to daily cuddles and activities with my baby boy who had been by my side 24/7 since he was born.





April

My mom visited and we took a very fun trip to Holy Island. The place was magical and we all loved how quiet the island became when the tide came in and all the day visitors left.

We found out we were expecting a BABY GIRL!!!! Josh really wanted a girl and despite telling everyone I didn't really care about the gender I knew deep down I was hoping to have a baby girl the second time around. At the scan I actually screamed YES! when the sonographer said it would be a girl.



May

Instead of a booze up in Manchester we decided on a girly holiday in Tenerife. Sadly Cath couldn't make it but Sage was a nice stand in all nestled in my belly. Jess, Ruth and I had the most amazing 4 days child free. I still remember waking up every morning with my knitting and getting a massive bowl of fruit and coffee in the sunshine before the girls woke up and then soaking in the rays all day by the pool only to top the night off with some yummy Spanish food, American cover bands with a Spanish accent and 5 scoops of gelato. You girls are the best, ten-thousand volts!





June

Surely I did more exciting things in June but what stands out is the start of my Daisy Birthing class. Despite already having a baby I felt rather clueless at the start of this course. By the end of it I felt confident about my birth plans and I believe whole heartedly that the reason I ended up having an empowering all natural birth was because of these classes. Thank you Katherine and everyone who supports The Happy Mums Foundation.



July

We danced the day away at the Kirkoswald Beer Festival, had a mini baby moon in Harrogate complete with some yummy asian food at a michelin star restaurant, and Josh took a week off to fly to our friends wedding in America. I was sad to miss their wedding but loved hearing about all the crazy and fun antics Josh got into while he was away from his family.





August

Sage Malia Soper was born at 11:06 pm on the 27th of August weighing 7 pounds 11 ounces. She was born on her due date and also my Grammy's birthday, hence the middle name. You can read her birth story here. It was love at first sight, this little lady stole my heart from the beginning.



September

Gaga arrived to help with the new arrival and jealous toddler. Tears flowed, hearts ached, our kitchen ceiling caved in, and we operated in survival mode for many weeks. We overcame many challenges that first month and closed the book on others. I mourned for the days when we were just a family of 3, and ached for the experiences I dreamed of while pregnant that I knew would never actually surface. Post-partum depression kicked in and sleep deprivation ramped up. I was happy to say goodbye to September.



October

More of the same continued, it was confirmed Sage had tongue tie, we opted out of the operation and struggled through several more weeks of nursing. My mom said goodbye and I said hello to my new full-time mama role with two children in tow.

The first week was a struggle on my own, laundry baskets constantly overflowing, the kitchen full of dirty dishes and I counted down the days until I left for America.




November

I lowered my expectations and decided that as long as everyone was fed, clothed and the dog walked it would be a successful day.

We finally flew to America and I felt like super mama for flying solo with a three month old and toddler without any tears on the flight.

Thanksgiving was a reunion of family and beer. My post partum depression started to clear and I focused on family time and exercise at Pure Barre in Northampton. My body got the workout it so desperately needed and I got a glorious 2 hour break from my children 3-5 times a week. Thank you mom, you really are a saint for putting up with us and I'm really sorry for Cyril's tantrums!




December

We tackled potty training. At first I thought I was in for a massive battle but by day 2 Cyril had it down. On day 3 he had his first pee in a public restroom and now 4 weeks later he wakes up to use the toilet at night and even had a poo on the plane! Parents you get my excitement, non-parents I don't know how to explain how amazing this milestone is. I do have to add that I cried on that first day as I realised I'd never again put a nappy on Cyril, at that moment he transitioned from my baby to a boy.

We went to Maine for the Christmas prelude, welcomed the entire family at my parents house, drank too much beer, ate gourmet food everyday courtesy of my brother's cooking skills, laughed until we all had six pack abs, got snowed in, built a gigantic snowman, raced the toddlers around on sleds, went on a horse and wagon ride (beer included obvs) cuddled Sage in front of a gorgeous Christmas tree, had several safety meetings in front of the woodstove, and said our goodbyes on NYE over a spiked Dunkin Donuts coffee and some gummies from a friend.

So to 2016 I say farewell, you brought me much joy but also much sadness and although I constantly mourn my children growing up I'm looking forward to a very happy 2017!








And sorry for the poor quality photos, haven't had a chance to edit the ones from December yet, not sure I'll manage until next year if I'm honest!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Months

Nearly Halfway There, Yikes!

Bad Ass Baby Soper