How Daisy Birthing Helped me to Deliver Sage Naturally

Ten Ways Daisy Bjrthing Helped me to have the labour and delivery I always wanted:

1. When my contractions first started I knew that I needed to alternate between rest and being active. Resting allowed me the energy I needed to get through labour and delivery and being active allowed Sage to engage in the pelvis which then allowed my cervix to open.

2. The first contractions were irregular and strong but not so strong that I couldn't go for a walk. During these contractions I used the deep breathing technique in class to quiet the fight or flight response and allow extra oxygen to reach the uterus. It also gave me practice for when things got more intense.

3. Hanging over the birth ball gave me the support I needed but allowed gravity to do its job by keeping my body upright.

4. I selected the three mantras from a list Katherine recited to us during deep relaxation and they really helped me to stay focused.

5.  Based on the intensity and frequency of the contractions I was able to guess roughly how far I was into my labour which helped me to get through it drug free because I knew I didn't have much more to go.

6. The escalator breath helped me get through the most intense contractions when I found it too difficult to breathe in for a countof 2 and out for account of 8.

7. When it was time to bear down I was able to focus on the breathing technique practiced in class to relax the pelvic floor and deliver the baby.

8. The discussion we had on the delivery of the placenta made me realise that I could have a natural delivery as long as I wasn't bleeding excessively. When I started to bleed too much I was OK with having the injection to deliver the placenta because I knew the risk outweighed the benefit and Sage was still able to have a delayed cord clamping. Had we not learned this in class I would have had the injection straight away and Sage wouldn't have gotten the extra blood from the umbilical cord after her birth.

9.  The use of music, dim lighting, and lavender helped me to relax and reminded me of the relaxed environment in our class.

10. Closing my eyes, practicing visualisations, hearing words of encouragement helped me stay focused, which led to an empowering birth experience for the whole family.

BONUS: I met some new Mum's and made some great friendships 😊

Thank you Karherine and The Happy Mum's Foundation. Also, a big thank you to my husband and doula, Sarah Hall. I couldn't have done it without you all!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Months

Nearly Halfway There, Yikes!

Bad Ass Baby Soper